Creating a SharePoint site, step by step.
How to create a site in SharePoint?
SharePoint sites allow your team to connect to the content, information, files/documents, and applications that your organisation uses on daily basis. You can not only access all these files from your laptop or computer, but also from mobile apps. This allows your team efficiency and flexibility, whether they are in the office or not. The sites home page will always present you with links to the important or most recent files that you may want to access.
So now that you know a bit about the SharePoint sites, how do you create one? First of all, sign in with an account that has admin permission for your business to be able to create a site.
- Select + Create a site on the SharePoint start page.
- In the wizard:
- Select whether you would like to create a Team Site or a Communication site.
At this stage you may ask, but which one shall I use? The team site allows you to have conversations with your team members, assign and manage their tasks, share documents between each other and many more very useful tools. On the other hand, communication site allows sharing of content with the members and keeping them informed.
- Enter the name for the site – this could be your business name, specific department or a certain project some of your employees will be working at.
- You can select and then edit the group email address or site address.
- Choose a sensitivity level for your site information. These mainly apply to the level of protection that your information will need.
- Select whether the group will be public or private. This will determine whether only the members of the group will be allowed to access the site, or everyone from the organisation.
- Select a default language for your site and then click Next.
- Then enter the owners and members.
- Select Finish.
Once you have created the site, you can alter the look of your site by going to Settings in the top right corer of your site. In settings, find the option change the look and select what you would like to change there! It will allow you to change things like the theme, header, navigation, footer and many more!
Now your SharePoint site is created and ready for use! If you have chosen to create a team site, a Microsoft 365 group will be created at the same time.
In our next article we will introduce you to a selection of ‘widgets’ that you can use for your SharePoint site, so keep your eyes out!